We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the personal information we collect. We have implemented measures to comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993, including the Health Information Privacy Code 1994. This section explains how we may collect and use personal information.
Why does Maxwell Financial Services Limited collect my personal information?
We collect personal information primarily to enable us to provide insurance benefits and related services. If the information provided to us is not accurate or complete, we may not be able to provide an accurate quote, or provide benefits for the requested insurance or related services.
What personal information does Maxwell Financial Services Limited keep?
The personal information we hold will depend on whether someone is an insured person or a recognised provider and which services they have used. Information may include:
- name, address, contact details, date of birth, email address;
- payment history;
- current or past details of private health insurance;
- claim details;
- health information including pre-existing condition information;
- employment or membership details where the insurance policy is connected to a workplace or association;
- travel plans.
How does Maxwell Financial Services Limited collect personal information?
We may collect personal information directly, in person or by phone or internet when someone:
- applies to become a customer or recognised provider, including when someone starts and does not complete an online application to become a customer;
- becomes a customer as part of a workplace or association scheme;
- provides information during the course of their policy or relationship with Maxwell Financial Services Limited;
- requests information concerning our services; or lodges a claim.
How does Maxwell Financial Services Limited use personal information?
The information we collect is used to:
- provide benefits for insurance and related services;
- determine eligibility to provide or receive an insurance or related service;
- administer insurance and related services;
- develop, promote or market our current and future insurance and related services;
- prevent, detect and investigate any fraud; and
- comply with laws and regulations.
If we use personal information for direct marketing or research purposes, we will do so in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 including the Health Information Privacy Code 1994 and any electronic marketing or research correspondence sent to an individual will give them the opportunity to “opt out” of receiving any further marketing or research correspondence.
Will personal information be given to anyone else?
In providing our services and using personal information in accordance with this Policy, we may collect information from or disclose a person’s personal information to:
- your financial adviser and the dealership group that they are a member of;
- the Group Administrator where the insurance policy is part of a workplace or association scheme;
- insurance service providers including other insurers and reinsurers, recognised private hospitals and public hospitals, doctors and medical specialists and professional medical authorities, including the ACC and the Ministry of Health, and in relation to nib travel cover, investigators and emergency assistance providers;
- our contractors and service providers performing services including (but not limited to) legal services, marketing, market research, mail house services, and product development services;
- our existing and future strategic partners in respect of covers and services provided under a distribution arrangement;
- industry bodies, to aid in the prevention, detection and investigation of fraud; and
- law enforcement agencies, regulators or other parties as required by law.
Each policyowner and insured person authorises the collection of this information from and the disclosure of personal information to such parties for the purposes set out above.
We may also be required to disclose an insured person’s personal information to other individuals on their policy, or to individuals to whom the insured person has granted authority to act on their behalf.
Personal information may be disclosed to third parties overseas where those parties are one of the parties listed above.
We will not disclose an insured person’s personal information to anyone, other than as above, unless:
- the insured person authorises us to do so;
- the insured person’s safety or the safety of others in the community is at risk;
- we are required or permitted by law.
Can personal information be checked and corrected?
The accuracy of personal information is important to us. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We rely on persons who have a relationship with nib to advise of any changes to their contact details and any other personal information. Where possible please provide an email address. If a person believes that any personal information we hold is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, the person should contact us immediately.
Is personal information secure?
We take all reasonable steps to ensure personal information is kept secure. We protect the privacy and security of the personal information we hold through the use of encryption, security access, firewalls and computer security systems. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information which is held by us, and access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose positions require access to this. We may also use third party data storage providers and servers to store your personal information.
Need more information?
Personal information is collected and held by Maxwell Financial Services Limited